Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Looking For A New Car

Well, it finally happened. My old car has finally succumbed. I currently own a 1986 Dodge K car. It was a gift to me for my 18th birthday from my big brother Turk. Turk is not his real name, it's Wendall, but he had his name legally changed to Turk before he joined the Marines. He was afraid that when the other guys found out his name was Wendall that they would bet him with a sock full of pennies. Can't say I blame him. It would be neat to change my name to something a little more peppy than Dana, but I can't decide on a favorite. I like Priscilla and Chastity. Feel free to offer up suggestions.

Anywho, my K car bit the dust yesterday. This car has been with me for the last 11 years and we have seen alot together. It saw me through my 21st birthday when I (of course) had too much to drink and drove it into the Boise River. It has survived cross-country road trips to Texas, California and West Virginia. I had it repaired after not one but two deer strikes. The first one was my fault...I was changing the radio station and not watching the road and I hit a buck in the hindquarters. He survived but I needed a new front end. After that, I put those deer whistle deals on my car. The second time was totally the deer's fault. It was standing on the side of the road. It saw me coming (I even slowed down and honked my horn) and decided that for whatever reason, the does didn't like him, too many kids, the other bucks made fun of his rack, whatever, and he leaped right in front of me...blammo! He made such an awful noise that I crapped my pants. Another trip to the shop.

Well that was about 4 years ago. This time, my car blew a head gasket and my mechanic finally told me that he refused to fix the car anymore because he was embarrassed when he had to call his parts guy to get stuff for a K car. He actually offered to give me $500 to go get a new car and never come back. Talk about rude! So I'm off to shop for a new car but I don't know what I want exactly. I'd be happy for any suggestions of reliable transportation under $13,000.

No comments: